Massachusetts Shellfish Initiative
Massachusetts shellfishermen (wild and recreational harvesters, aquaculture growers), restoration advocates, concerned citizens, and public officials are invited to learn more about the Shellfish Initiative and play a key role in its development. If you have not yet attended a meeting or taken the survey, please review the meeting presentation slides and take the online survey to provide your feedback!
Share your Input:
- Martha's Vineyard, Katharine Cornell Theater - Friday May 5th, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- West Barnstable Community Building - Tuesday Aug 1st, 7:00 p.m.
- Buzzards Bay Coalition, New Bedford - Wednesday Aug 9th, 2:30 - 4:00 p.m.
- Nantucket to be announced soon!
Mass Shellfish Initiative in a Nutshell:
- Overarching guidelines, goals, and/or a plan for the state to maximize the economic, environmental, and social benefits of Massachusetts’ shellfish resources (shellfish, public land open to shellfishing, etc)
- Provide guidance for how the state and towns should balance growing and competing demands for shellfish resources
- Will be developed by you, the shellfish stakeholders: wild harvesters (commercial and recreational), aquaculturists, tribes, restoration community, town and state officials, concerned public
- Brings existing and new shellfish projects together, to increase efficiency and effectiveness, leverage community support and funding, and achieve common goals
Contact for more information:
Massachusetts Aquaculture Association
Cape Cod Commercial Fishermen’s Alliance
The Nature Conservancy