How do I cook lobster?
Beau Gribbon, aboard his Provincetown-based vessel, Glutton, checks a freshly-caught American lobster to see if it has a v-notch or is an egg-bearing female. If the lobster has even one egg, it must be thrown back to help ensure the sustainability of the Atlantic Coast lobster fishery. V-notch is a management tool used to mark an egg-bearing female in order to increase egg production. The mark usually lasts for two-three molting cycles.
In New England, lobster is often enjoyed as part of holiday celebrations, and you can make a delicious Lobster Bisque dish from Chef John Pontius of Finely J.P.s in Wellfleet.
Finely JP's Restaurant Lobster Bisque
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 2 (1.5 lb.) lobsters
- 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 med. onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 cup sherry
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups heavy cream
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place lobsters in 2 gallons of boiling water in a large stockpot. Be sure they are completely covered. When water returns to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove lobsters and save water.
- As lobsters cool, heat 5 Tbsp. butter in second stockpot on medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, peppercorns and thyme and sauté until lightly browned. Add reserved lobster water and bring to a simmer.
- Remove meat from the cooled lobsters, dice and set aside. Save shells.
- Add oil to a roasting pan and add lobster shells. Roast shells for 1/2 hour, then remove from oven and add shells to simmering stock. Deglaze roasting pan on stove top with sherry for 3 minutes. Lower heat, add 5 Tbsp. butter.
- Once melted, add flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring to make a roux.
- Add roux to simmering stock with rubber spatula. Add tomato paste to stock. Simmer 1 hour.
- Carefully strain stock into clean stockpot. Over low heat, add heavy cream in a slow stream while whisking. Season to taste.
- Place lobster meat in bowl and ladle bisque over, serve and enjoy!
If you are in Chatham, feel free to stop by our headquarters at 1566 Main St. Chatham, MA 02633 and grab a few of the other recipe cards we have in our entry way.